Monday, May 29, 2006

noise pollution

I bathe myself
with sounds
too big
and
too loud
for contended hearts

how could I give in
to the plea of my ears
when these
and all that they stand for
block away my thoughts,
sheilding me
from your memory

A fool I am
to have tatooed your voice
in all the fragile corners
of my tired mind

Its presence makes me weak

So I listen to others
as they sing -
they do
all my shouting
and my screaming

hoping that
when I walk back
into the room of silence

your unwelcomed voice
in comparison
shall merely be
a fading echo-

a distant noise
slowly drifting
to non-existence

4 comments:

  1. Love the comparison of loud sounds to a voice once treasured fading to a "distant noise slowly drifting to non-existence". Good poem Luanne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully expressed
    i too have tatooed voices
    and you capture the feeling so well

    ReplyDelete
  4. jon, you're welcome, and thank you, as well. keep those sculptures coming, They're really nice :)

    floots, thank you so much. Hope those don't bother you as much as mine does. take care :)

    ReplyDelete